Meaning in the Bible and the World
We are convicted that the Bible and the universe are both filled up to the brim with images of Jesus and his Kingdom.
After all, the Spirit of Jesus’ Father is the Author of both Life and the Scripture (Gen 1:2; 2 Pet 1).
When Jesus walked the world he explained how one thing after another found its meaning and significance in his life and kingdom. Vines. Shepherds. Bread. Water. Light. Wind. To only name a few.
Acacia trees are one more image that could be added to the list.
Acacia in The Bible
The name Acacia first stood out to us as it is used in Scripture, namely, in association with the holy presence of Yahweh.
- The wood was used for the Ark of the Covenant
- The wood was used for the poles for carrying the Ark of the Covenant
- The wood was used for the Tabernacle
- The wood was used for the Table for Bread in the Tabernacle
- The wood can be used as an alternative offering to God
- The wood was used for the Bronze Altar
- The wood was used for the Altar of Incense
These examples all involve God’s holy dwelling with his people in the Old Testament.
Notice the Table of the Bread. God wanted this image to stick in our minds when we think about his holy presence; a dining table where a meal would be shared (Ex 24:11 is an awesome picture of this).
Life isn’t about anything except being near to Jesus. Holiness is not about legalism or religion; it’s about being near to God and being present with him in each moment.
In Psalm 27:4 David says his prayer boils down to one request, to one inquiry that truly matters above the rest:
“One thing have I asked of the Lord,
that will I seek after:
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord
and to inquire in his temple.”
That’s what we want her life to be about. More than anything else, we want her to be a person who is alive with the presence of Jesus.
Acacia in The World
Doing more research on the tree, we discovered some amazing images of Jesus.
- The wood is hard, dense, and strong – difficult to be penetrated by decay agents
- The wood’s density and strength makes it ideal for a structure that would endure for generations
- The tree survives in a desert by storing up water
- The tree produces fragrant flowers
God has given these trees a special role to play in the Bible and the world. Both the tree and the wood from the tree are awesome images of Christ.
Pray for Acacia
- Pray she would live a life filled with God’s presence
- Pray she would know Jesus in the midst of suffering and hardship
- Pray she would love to pray
- Pray she would bear fragrant fruit for the Lord